Well, with my documents heading to my recruiter at this very moment, and my feet itching to leave, I think it's time I started a South Korea bucket list. Here we go!
This list is adapted from the list made by Chris Backe of "Chris in South Korea" (whose personal blog has since disappeared - if you know of a new link to it, please let me know). 83-85 were suggested by Alannah Boland. 88 suggested by Silvy Alvarez-Martinez.
Spend the night in a jimjilbang (day spa / sauna).Bonus points for spending the night in the jjimjilbang at Incheon Airport. Stay out in Hongdae or Itaewon all night and catch the ‘subway of shame’ home the next morning. Bargain for clothes at Seomun Market.
- Go to Lotte World on a rainy / snowy day.
- Take in a drag show on Homo Hill, and smile at the ladies of Hooker Hill.
- Visit the Loveland sex museum on Jeju island.
Try the collagen face masks from Face Shop.
- Watch the largest waterfall bridge performance at Banpo Han River Park.
Get off at a random subway stop and explore the local area. Find a small town and enjoy being the only foreigner around. Drink Korean beer in a convenience store cafe Raise funds and/or volunteer for a Korean charity Dress up as something crazy for Halloween in Hongdae. Eat dried squid, fried chicken and drink soju at a baseball game. Bonus points for figuring out how to cheer along. Go skiing at one of the dozen ski resorts around the country. Get muddy at the Boryeong Mud Festival! DVD bang. Private movie screening. Like a drive-in theater without the car. ‘Nuff said. Play with the fancy technology around Yongsan Electronics Market or one of the Techno Marts. Mix yogurt and soju. See what happens. Eat some beondegi (silkworm pupae)!
- Meander around the phallic statues in Penis Park (warning: NSFW) (Gangwon-do)
Watch the mayor of Daegu ring the big bell on New Year’s Day. Drink makgeolli (rice wine) and eat pajeon (green onion pancake) on a rainy day.
- Push yourself across the ice on a sseolmae (wooden sled).
Take a bike ride along the Han river. Use your connections to get on one of the American military bases. Enjoy a Westernized Korean wedding. Say saranghae (I love you) to a special someone, whether they’re Korean or not. Appreciate the air-conditioning on the subway in the middle of July. See NANTA or another non-verbal, high-energy performance. People-watch at Garosu-gil over a cup of coffee.Alas, they've broken it all down and turned it into cosmetics mecca. Bleh.
- Get up to a moktok (a wooden instrument used in Buddhist temples) at 3:30am for a Korean Buddhist templestay.
Have a cocktail in a bag
- Munch on some some live octopus, Oldboy-style.
Appreciate the spiciness of a good kimchi jjigae. Try your best to converse with a Korean taxi driver. Get the evil eye from an ajumma Try the Korean version of ‘forest therapy’ in either Damyang or Anmyeon-do. Swim in the East Sea and the West Sea. Go puddle-jumping in a monsoon Eat cold noodles with watermelon Survive 'fan death' in summer Spend a platonic night with a friend at a 'Love Motel' Greet a car greeter Spot a fake town in North Korea
- Shape a hard boiled egg into something too cute to eat
Brush your teeth at work Learn a KPOP dance Cook a South African meal for some Koreans Watch a Korean movie at a cinema Go geo-caching in Daegu Work out on public exercise equipment in the park Go to the Daegu body-painting festival
- Hug a giant teddy bear
- Take ridiculous photos and have them turned into more ridiculous stickers
Stuff your face with meat at a Korean barbecue Watch competitive Star Craft Learn to play Star Craft/League of Legends/Sudden Attack Play Korean Dance Dance Revolution at an arcade Eat sweet potato bread Learn the Korean synchronised stretching regime Go to Everland Wear BB cream and be flawless (maybe she's born with it? Maybe it's BB cream) Get a haircut in a Korean salon Try Korean oriental medicine
- Visit a Korean fortune teller
Check out Daegu's pink light district Bump around to trance music at G2 Check out the LGBT scene in Daegu's gay district Bang all night (PC Bang, Noraebang, DVD Bang, Wii Bang, Jjimjilbang...) Ride some rollercoasters in Daegu Go swing-dancing Ride a disco pang-pang Check out some cherry blossoms
- Take part in a traditional tea ceremony
- Visit the Toilet Exhibition Hall
- Cringe at the Plastic Surgery Museum
- Teleport to a German village
Go on a tour of the DMZ Play baduk See a K-Pop concert Catch the Busan film festival
- See what the fuss is all about at Jeju island
- Get lost in a garden maze
Drink coffee from a can Enjoy coffee and cuddles at a Pet Cafe Have a conversation completely in Korean Hike Seoraksan mountains in autumn Climb the highest mountain in Korea Order a mystery meal to be delivered to my apartment Soak in a natural hot spring
- Be cute at the Hello Kitty cafe
Go to Korean classes and learn the lingo Do the Itaewon Freedom dance in front of Namsan Tower Work out in the park Learn to cook a Korean meal
- Take a traditional pottery class
Win a game at a boardgame coffee shop Oppa Gangnam Style in Gangnam English Teachers' choreographed dance in a dance club.(The night we did the macarena, gangnam style and YMCA covers that, I think). Drink in public, in inappropriate places. Have your feet nibbled by fish at Dr Fish. Be gatvol (spot someone wearing a gat). Sleep on a yo. Sign up for a class at a Hagwon, in Korean.Yoga completely in Korean totally counts.
- Sit a TOPIK exam.
Have a normal dinner in a Korean's home Time-travel to the past Climb inside a painting. Learn to salsa/swing dance
- Go to the Rape Festival
Get armloads of freebies from cosmetics shops just for going inside Do Noraebang on a long bus ride to pass the time
- Hike the entire East Coast
- Ulleongdo scavenger hunt: find the absence of 3 things (thieves, snakes and pollution) and the presence of 5 things (many aromatic trees, wind, beautiful women, water and rocks)
Catch waves in a waterpark. Hug trees at the Daegu arboretum.
- Drink persimmon wine underground.
- Birdwatch in Eulsukdo
- Go whale-watching or ocean-staring
Find Nemo at the aquarium Eat barbecue that's cooked with a blow torch Have chicken or duck cooked in pumpkin Go to the Bus Bar and/or the airplane cafe. Eat cheesy jjimdalk