Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Too much information

I've been so excited about going to Korea, for so long, that I am worried that I may have done a bit too much research. Last night over dinner, (sushi, which is similar to Gimbap, a very popular and cheap Korean food... See? There I go again!) a friend asked me if there was anything I didn't know about Korea.



I remember a few years ago, my parents were planning to take me with them for the first time to their favourite ski resort. They had taken my sister with them the year before, and so the three of them spent the whole of December reminiscing and telling me about Champoussin. And I got upset, because I felt like they were ruining all the surprises that I wanted to discover for myself. I wanted that feeling you get when you discover that little restaurant with the best sandwiches in the world. That feeling you get when you've gone off piste, gotten lost, and discovered something incredible.



But now I'm going off to Korea on my own, for the first time, and finding out things about it has become almost an obsession for me. It's also made me a boring person, to anyone who isn't interested in Korea, as my brain is full and I don't seem to have anything else to talk about.



So, is there such a thing as too much research? How do you know when to stop?

That said, my brain is now a fountain of useful information about Korea, so please feel free to ask me a question on the Q & A tab.

I do think I need to start rationing myself, though. I think from now until February 16th, I should limit my Korean 'research' to blogs about everyday life in Korea, and my Korean language learning efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment